ARTHUR C. CLARKE Collection MANUSCRIPT BIOGRAPHY + FOUR BOOKS SIGNED & INSCRIBED
This lot consists of:
THREE BOOKS by ARTHUR C. CLARKE, an ARTHUR C. CLARKE BIOGRAPHY and a heavily hand edited MANUSCRIPT DRAFT of CLARKE'S BIOGRAPHY.
ALL ITEMS ARE SIGNED by ARTHUR C. CLARKE.
ALL ITEMS ARE INSCRIBED. TWO ARE WARMLY INSCRIBED BY ARTHUR C. CLARKE to his BIOGRAPHER, one is inscribed by Clarke's best friend in America, and one contains an inscription by Clarke's biographer to the founders of BALLANTINE BOOKS. Provenance of Clarke's biographer.
(1) 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, by Arthur C. Clarke. Hardcover Book in Dustjacket, 5.5x8.5 inches, 222 pages. Published by New American Library, New York, 1968. Book club edition.
HAND SIGNED and DATED 01/01/01 by Arthur C. Clarke on the half title page in black felt tip pen.
Also INSCRIBED by Clarke on the title page as follows: "TO NEIL - my biographer! / (poor chap) / All best / Arthur".
Condition: VERY GOOD book, tight, bright, clean and clear; in a VERY GOOD dustjacket that has a bit of edge and spine end wear.
(2) 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, by Arthur C. Clarke. Paperback edition, 4.25x7 inches, 266 pages. Published by Orbit, a division of Little, Brown and Company, London, 2000.
HAND SIGNED and INSCRIBED by Clarke in blue ink to his biographer Neil McAleer on the title page: "To Neil - who he? / All best / ACC / 1.5.04". On the facing page Clarke has INSCRIBED in black felt tip pen: "Oh yes - the fellow who wrote all those lies about me!!"
(3) THE COMING OF THE SPACE AGE: Famous Accounts of Man's Probing of the Universe. Edited by Arthur C. Clarke. Hardcover Book in Dustjacket, 6x9 inches, 301 pages. Published by Meredith Press, New York, 1967. First Edition, so stated.
HAND SIGNED by Clarke on the front free endpaper.
Beneath Clarke's signature the book is INSCRIBED by Fred [Durant] (Clarke's best American friend) and his wife Pip, to Clarke's Biographer, Neil McAleer as follows: "For Neil / On the day we met you and Arthur / Here's to the book! / Fred & Pip / 31 VII 88." It was on this day that Clarke gave McAleer permission to write his authorized biography.
Condition: NEAR FINE book, tight, bright, clean and clear; in a VERY GOOD dustjacket that has a little wear to its spine ends and a small chip to the top edge of the front panel. A solid, very presentable copy.
(4) ARTHUR C. CLARKE: THE AUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY, by NEIL McALEER. Hardcover Book in Dustjacket, 6x9 inches, 430 pages. Published by Contemporary Books, Chicago, 1992. First Edition, as indicated by the date 1992 on the copyright page with no indication of additional printings. Laid in is a Press Release from Contemporary Books announcing the release of this book.
SIGNED by Clarke on a card pasted onto the front pastedown.
INSCRIBED by Neil McAleer on the half title page to Ian and Betty [Ballantine]: "11.12.92 / For Ian & Betty, / With Thanks and / Best Wishes. / Neil McAleer".
VERY GOOD book, some small spots to the top page edges, otherwise sharp, tight, bright, clean and clear; in a VERY GOOD dustjacket that has some shelf rubs.
(5) HEAVILY HAND EDITED MANUSCRIPT of the first U.S. edition of ARTHUR C. CLARKE: THE AUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY, by NEIL McALEER. Circa 1991 given that the book was published in 1992 by Contemporary Books, Chicago.
Approximately 750 loose typescript pages with type on one side only.
Filled throughout with Neil McAleer's hand edits, changes, corrections, additions, etc., in various colors of pen. Many pages also have post-it notes affixed to their blank back side. These post-its are full of notes. SIGNED by Neil McAleer on the first page.
LAID ON the first page is a card SIGNED by ARTHUR C.CLARKE.
This is the final submitted manuscript for the US edition of McAleer's exhaustive authorized biography of Clarke, with numerous differences from the UK edition, including an introduction by Ray Bradbury.
Condition: General light wear, occasional mild foxing; very good.