GROUP of SIGNED, INSCRIBED and ANNOTATED BOOKS by THREE IMPORTANT NEW ENGLAND WOMEN HISTORIANS & AUTHORS LIVING TOGETHER in a "BOSTON MARRIAGE" -DEERFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS - FRARY HOUSE
* MRS. PUTNAM'S RECEIPT BOOK AND YOUNG HOUSEKEEPER'S ASSISTANT, by E. Putnam. Published by Phillips, Sampson, Boston, 1858. COOKBOOK with IMPORTANT NEW ENGLAND ASSOCIATIONS - Owned by C. ALICE BAKER and her mother C. C. BAKER [Catharine Catlin Baker], with the SIGNATURE of C.C. Baker and a handwritten presentation from her daughter on the Preface page: "from Alice / Feb. 1859". MANY PAGES OF HANDWRITTEN RECIPES ARE LAID-IN THROUGHOUT and TWENTY-TWO PAGES OF HANDWRITTEN RECIPES are on the blank pages at the rear, all (or most) in the hand of C. ALICE BAKER. Hardcover book, 5x7.5 inches, 223 numbered pages. Condition: The covers are stained and soiled but still doing their job. Internally, there is some foxing, toning, and soiling throughout, otherwise the pages are bright and clear; the handwritten pages are mostly bright and legible but a few have faded away.
* A SUMMER IN THE AZORES, by C. ALICE BAKER. Presentation copy inscribed by C. Alice Baker: "Mr. and Mrs. Charles (?) / from their friends: / C. ALICE BAKER / SUSAN M. LANE / EMMA L. COLEMAN". In addition the printed dedication page reads: "To S. M. L, my lifelong friend and companion / and E. L. C., to whose affection I owe my Summer In The Azores. / Cambridge, 1882." Published by Lee and Shepard, Boston, 1882. First edition. Hardcover book, 4.5x6 inches, 174 pages. Condition: the rear cover is covered with white spill stains (not affecting inner pages), otherwise the covers are solid and doing their job; internally there is foxing on the first and last few pages, otherwise the pages are tight, bright and clear. A solid, nice copy but for the unfortunate spill on the rear cover. Wonderful association of C. Alice Baker, Summer M. Lane and Emma L. Coleman.
* TRUE STORIES OF NEW ENGLAND CAPTIVES - CARRIED to CANADA DURING the OLD FRENCH and INDIAN WARS, by C. ALICE BAKER. First Edition. Printed by E.A. Hall, Cambridge, 1897. SIGNED by C. Alice Baker's Uncle, GEORGE SHELDON, and by her Aunt, JENNIE ARMS SHELDON, on the front endpapers. Hardcovers, 7x9 inches, 407 pages. Condition: the covers are worn, scraped and rubbed; internally, there are some annotations in the margins and rear endpapers, the text block is cracked at places but holding well, overall the inner pages are nice, tight, bright and clear.
* NEW ENGLAND CAPTIVES CARRIED TO CANADA Between 1677 and 1760. By EMMA LEWIS COLEMAN. Two Volume Set. Volume One has a portrait of C. ALICE BAKER and the printed dedication: "In Memory of C. ALICE BAKER". Self-published in Portland, Maine, and printed by the Southowrth Press, 1925. FIRST EDITION. Hardcovers, gilt designs on covers and spine, 6.5x9.5 inches, 438 and 452 pages. Condition: Both volumes are faded at the spine, have a bit of wear at the spine ends, and the covers have a few light stains; internally the binding is split here and there but holding well, otherwise bright, clean and clear. Signature of a previous owner "Louise A. Rawson / July 1926" on a blank prelim along with the bookplate of "Louise Cherry Brooks". LOUISE CHERRY BROOKS was an avid book collector and LIFELONG FRIEND OF ZELDA FITZGERALD.
* DEERFIELD EPITAPHS in the OLD BURYING-GROUND at DEERFIELD, MASS. Copied by C. ALICE BAKER and EMMA L. COLEMAN. Published by the Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield, Massachusetts, 1924. First Edition. A relevant previous owner's inscription is on the front free endpaper: "Iola M. Marin / August 9, 1926 / Deerfield / Bought at FRARY HOUSE - oldest house in Deerfield..." VERY GOOD condition, some wear to the cover's spine ends and corner tips, pages have light signs of use, overall a solid, bright, clean copy. Laid-in is an unused circa 1910 Real Photo Postcard "RPPC" of the FRARY HOUSE. The photographer is unstated but likely Emma L. Coleman.
This heavy lot will require additional shipping charges. After placing your order you will be notified of the charges and be able to accept or reject them before payment is taken. Thanks!