"History - California, The West, Hawaii, Alaska"

Criteria:
  • Category = "History - California, The West, Hawaii, Alaska"
  • SONGBOOK of HAWAII'S QUEEN LILI'UOKALANI - THE HAWAIIAN QUEEN'S SONGS Hardcover First Edition, Honolulu, 1999 by Dorothy Kahananui Gillet and Barbar Barnard Smith SONGBOOK of HAWAII'S QUEEN LILI'UOKALANI - THE HAWAIIAN QUEEN'S SONGS Hardcover First Edition, Honolulu, 1999
    Dorothy Kahananui Gillet and Barbar Barnard Smith

    THE QUEEN'S SONGBOOK - HER MAJESTY QUEEN LILI'UOKALANI. By Dorothy Kahananui Gillet and Barbar Barnard Smith.

    HONOLULU, HAWAII : Hui Hanai, 1999.

    Hardcovers, red cloth covered boards, gilt design on the front cover and gilt titles on the spine, 9x12 inches, 333 pages.

    VERY GOOD condition, lightly used, tight, bright, clean, clear and unmarked.

    The sturdy HARDCOVER edition is HARD-to-FIND.

    About the Book (from the Publisher):

    ******Queen Liliuokalani left two major legacies. The first, her lands, have benefited the Hawaiian people through the Liliuokalani Trust and Queen Liliuokalani Children's Center. The second, her music, has brought pleasure to many people of many cultures, and Hui Hanai hopes the publication of The Queen's Songbook will enable others, for generations to come,…

    (more)

    THE QUEEN'S SONGBOOK - HER MAJESTY QUEEN LILI'UOKALANI. By Dorothy Kahananui Gillet and Barbar Barnard Smith.

    HONOLULU, HAWAII : Hui Hanai, 1999.

    Hardcovers, red cloth covered boards, gilt design on the front cover and gilt titles on the spine, 9x12 inches, 333 pages.

    VERY GOOD condition, lightly used, tight, bright, clean, clear and unmarked.

    The sturdy HARDCOVER edition is HARD-to-FIND.

    About the Book (from the Publisher):

    ******Queen Liliuokalani left two major legacies. The first, her lands, have benefited the Hawaiian people through the Liliuokalani Trust and Queen Liliuokalani Children's Center. The second, her music, has brought pleasure to many people of many cultures, and Hui Hanai hopes the publication of The Queen's Songbook will enable others, for generations to come, to draw readily on the musical treasury that the Queen created. Hui Hanai was organized in 1969 to assist in carrying out the objectives of the Queen Liliuokalani Children's Center and to perpetuate the memory of the Queen and her accomplishments. In 1973, it decided that the most meaningful contribution it could make would be to collect and publish the Queen's Songs, and a Songbook Committee authorized by the Hui Hanai Council embarked on the task. Hui Hanai Honolulu, 1999.******

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $60.00
  • 1960 GOLDEN GATEWAY REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT - Original BOUND PROPOSAL Illustrated 1960 GOLDEN GATEWAY REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT - Original BOUND PROPOSAL Illustrated

    GOLDEN GATEWAY REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT : Eichler Homes Inc. - Developer; Dinwiddie Construction Co. - Associate; Anshen & Allen - Architects. Undated but known to be 1960.

    Large format cloth covered stiff boards, 13x21 inches, 21 heavy stock leaves (i.e. 42 pages). The rectos are all illustrations, many are photographs of architectural models and drawings showing how the proposed project would look when completed.Text on facing pages describes the illustrations.

    The last page has the printed signatures of Joseph L. Eichler (Eichler Homes), Curtis E. Smith Jr. (Dinwiddie Construction), and "Anshen & Allen" signed by either Robert Anshen or Steve Allen.

    Condition: Some of the paper pastedown on the outer corner area of both the front and rear cover has peeled…

    (more)

    GOLDEN GATEWAY REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT : Eichler Homes Inc. - Developer; Dinwiddie Construction Co. - Associate; Anshen & Allen - Architects. Undated but known to be 1960.

    Large format cloth covered stiff boards, 13x21 inches, 21 heavy stock leaves (i.e. 42 pages). The rectos are all illustrations, many are photographs of architectural models and drawings showing how the proposed project would look when completed.Text on facing pages describes the illustrations.

    The last page has the printed signatures of Joseph L. Eichler (Eichler Homes), Curtis E. Smith Jr. (Dinwiddie Construction), and "Anshen & Allen" signed by either Robert Anshen or Steve Allen.

    Condition: Some of the paper pastedown on the outer corner area of both the front and rear cover has peeled away exposing the boards beneath, otherwise in very good condition, bright, clean, clear and unmarked.

    SCARCE, this is the only copy I have ever seen.

    An important historic look at the dramatic changes in the San Francisco skyline that started taking place in the 1960s.

    About The Golden Gateway (from LocalWiki):

    ******The Golden Gateway was one of the first projects of the SF Redevelopment Agency. The area that is now the Golden Gateway used to be an Italian neighborhood called Produce Market. The Redevelopment Agency designated the area blighted and after a long fight with business owners in the area, it was demolished and replaced by Golden Gateway and One Maritime Plaza (both part of the Golden Gateway Redevelopment Project).******

    INTERNATIONAL BUYERS PLEASE NOTE: This book is large and heavy and will require additional shipping charges. After placing your order you will be notified of the additional charges and be able to accept or reject them before your payment is processed. Or you can contact us ahead of time to find out the shipping charge to your country. Thanks.

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $325.00
  • NEGRO CIVIL RIGHTS IN CALIFORNIA 1850 Small Press Fine-Printing Keepsake 1969 - Two Copy Lot by David L. Snyder NEGRO CIVIL RIGHTS IN CALIFORNIA 1850 Small Press Fine-Printing Keepsake 1969 - Two Copy Lot
    David L. Snyder

    This is for TWO COPIES (buyer gets both copies) of:

    NEGRO CIVIL RIGHTS IN CALIFORNIA: 1850, by David L. Snyder.

    Keepsake printed by Roger Levenson at the TAMALPAIS PRESS for the members of the Sacramento Book Collectors Club 1969. Small-press fine-printing,"Special Publication No. 10", limited to only 300 copies.

    Fine-printing pamphlet, white rag paper covers, red title lettering, side-stapled, 7x10 inches, 12 pages.

    A brief history and vivid example of the limited legal rights of Negroes in California to testify against white men. This situation lasted until the testimony law was repealed in 1863. Included in this keepsake is a holograph reproduction of the 1850 sworn testimony of Sarah Carroll who claimed that William H. Potter stole jewelry…

    (more)

    This is for TWO COPIES (buyer gets both copies) of:

    NEGRO CIVIL RIGHTS IN CALIFORNIA: 1850, by David L. Snyder.

    Keepsake printed by Roger Levenson at the TAMALPAIS PRESS for the members of the Sacramento Book Collectors Club 1969. Small-press fine-printing,"Special Publication No. 10", limited to only 300 copies.

    Fine-printing pamphlet, white rag paper covers, red title lettering, side-stapled, 7x10 inches, 12 pages.

    A brief history and vivid example of the limited legal rights of Negroes in California to testify against white men. This situation lasted until the testimony law was repealed in 1863. Included in this keepsake is a holograph reproduction of the 1850 sworn testimony of Sarah Carroll who claimed that William H. Potter stole jewelry and money from her. The keepsake also has a transcript of her testimony, as well as the results of her testimony (William Potter was arrested). Sarah Carroll was a brave woman.

    Both keepsakes are in VERY GOOD or better condition, one has some light creasing to its top edge, else tight, bright, clean and unmarked.

    About this keepsake (from WorldCat):

    *******Sarah Carroll, a "free woman of color" brought a complaint against W.H. Potter on the charge of grand larceny for the theft of $700 and other articles of value. The documents of the case appear in this publication in both type and facsimile.******

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $100.00
  • 1937 HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD Edwin Palmer SIGNED & INSCRIBED First Ed. ILLUSTRATED by Edwin O. Palmer 1937 HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD Edwin Palmer SIGNED & INSCRIBED First Ed. ILLUSTRATED
    Edwin O. Palmer

    HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD, by EDWIN O. PALMER.

    Published by Arthur H. Cawston, Hollywood, California, 1937. First Edition.

    SIGNED and INSCRIBED by the AUTHOR on a blank prelim: "To my friend / Paul (?) / Edwin O. Palmer".

    This is VOLUME I only of the first edition which was published in two volumes, a "Narrative" volume (this volume) and a volume of biographical sketches of notable people. This narrative volume gives a history of Hollywood from its early geologic period up to Hollywood's golden age in the 1930s. ILLUSTRATED throughout with many b&w photographic plates.

    Hardcovers, dark brown cloth covered boards blind-embossed with designs, gilt titles on the front cover and spine, 8x11 inches, 292 pages.

    VERY GOOD condition, the covers…

    (more)

    HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD, by EDWIN O. PALMER.

    Published by Arthur H. Cawston, Hollywood, California, 1937. First Edition.

    SIGNED and INSCRIBED by the AUTHOR on a blank prelim: "To my friend / Paul (?) / Edwin O. Palmer".

    This is VOLUME I only of the first edition which was published in two volumes, a "Narrative" volume (this volume) and a volume of biographical sketches of notable people. This narrative volume gives a history of Hollywood from its early geologic period up to Hollywood's golden age in the 1930s. ILLUSTRATED throughout with many b&w photographic plates.

    Hardcovers, dark brown cloth covered boards blind-embossed with designs, gilt titles on the front cover and spine, 8x11 inches, 292 pages.

    VERY GOOD condition, the covers are lightly worn at the corners and spine ends, and the gilt spine lettering is faded, else the covers are solid and attractive; internally the pages are just lightly toned as normal, tight, bright, clean, clear and unmarked; and all the plates are sharp. A solid, presentable copy.

    The first edition is hard-to-find, especially so signed and inscribed. A second edition of this narrative volume was published in 1938.

    INTERNATIONAL BUYERS PLEASE NOTE: This book is heavy and will require additional shipping charges. After placing your order you will be notified of the charges and be able to accept or reject them before payment is taken. Thanks!

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $150.00
  • 1859-1920 TITLE ABSTRACT THREE VOLUMES - RANCHO MONTE DEL DIABLO / THE PACHECO GRANT / Mount Diablo, Contra Costa County, California by C. S. Cousins / Searcher of Records for Contra Costa County; et al 1859-1920 TITLE ABSTRACT THREE VOLUMES - RANCHO MONTE DEL DIABLO / THE PACHECO GRANT / Mount Diablo, Contra Costa County, California
    C. S. Cousins / Searcher of Records for Contra Costa County; et al

    THREE BOUND VOLUMES of ABSTRACT OF TITLE to large sections of LAND in RANCHO MONTE DEL DIABLO / SANTA CLARA COUNTY, known as THE PACHECO GRANT.

    (1) ABSTRACT of TITLE to LANDS of MANUEL WILLIAMS - Described as PORTION OF RANCHO MONTE DEL DIABLO / County of Contra Costa, California. Made by Contra Costa Abstract and Title Company, Martinez, California. Hardbound, leather spine and corners, string bound, 9x14 inches.

    The first 50 pages are MANUSCRIPT, with handwriting only on the front side of each page. The subsequent pages, 51 to 90, are typed and mimeographed abstracts, deeds, and official Contra Costa certifications.

    The manuscript abstract includes wills, grant rights, etc. The first page of this manuscript abstract of title…

    (more)

    THREE BOUND VOLUMES of ABSTRACT OF TITLE to large sections of LAND in RANCHO MONTE DEL DIABLO / SANTA CLARA COUNTY, known as THE PACHECO GRANT.

    (1) ABSTRACT of TITLE to LANDS of MANUEL WILLIAMS - Described as PORTION OF RANCHO MONTE DEL DIABLO / County of Contra Costa, California. Made by Contra Costa Abstract and Title Company, Martinez, California. Hardbound, leather spine and corners, string bound, 9x14 inches.

    The first 50 pages are MANUSCRIPT, with handwriting only on the front side of each page. The subsequent pages, 51 to 90, are typed and mimeographed abstracts, deeds, and official Contra Costa certifications.

    The manuscript abstract includes wills, grant rights, etc. The first page of this manuscript abstract of title begins: "Abstract of Title of Heirs of John Johnston, Deceased, to 210 Acres in the Racho Monte Del Diablo of PACHECO GRANT, Contra Costa County, California. By C. S. Cousins / Searcher of Records for Contra Costa County."

    There are many names of claimants, defendants, and County officers in this manuscript abstract of title, including; Salvio Pacheco, Salvador Pacheco, Manuel Williams, John Galindo, Mariana Amador de Galindo, Conception Pacheco de Soto, Ygnacio Amador, Samuel Dwinelle (District Judge), and many others. This manuscript abstract covers a period 1859-1896, with the last manuscript page (page 50) being a certification signed by J.S. Cousins, and dated May 24th, 1896.

    Bound in following the manuscript abstract of title are printed documents dated 1904 to 1916, including: "Continuation of Abstract of Title to the lands of HELEN GREENLEAF, described as Portion of the Rancho Monte del Diablo", "Continuation of Abstract of Title to the lands of MANUEL WILLIAMS", and various Deeds, Wills, and Agreements.

    A fold-open blueprint map is tipped onto the inside rear cover, titled: "Map of a portion of Division N of the Fernando Pacheco Estate..."

    Laid into the rear of this abstract is a folded "Agreement / Johnson Blois with Manuel Williams" dated October 1916.

    (2) ABSTRACT OF TITLE to the lands of MARIETTA J. BACON, being a portion of the RANCHO MONTE DEL DIABLO, containing 79.53 acres of land situated in CONTRA COSTA COUNTY. Filled with printed documents relating to distribution of property, including attestations of ownership, complaints, settlements, court documents, agreements, etc. Documents dated 1858 to 1906. Tipped on the inside rear cover is a handwritten statement on "The Bank of Concord" letterhead, dated Oct. 24, 1901: "I have examined the title to the lands described in the abstract herein and find...there is no lien or encumbrance excluding taxes for 1901". Bound in hardcovers, string bound at the top, 8.5x13 inches, 66 pages.

    (3) ABSTRACT OF TITLE to LOTS 3 and 8 / GOVERNMENT or GWIN RANCH / RANCHO MONTE DEL DIABLO - As Shown by the Various Records of the County of Contra Costa. Compiled by the Martinez Abstract & Title Company, Searchers of Records, Martinez, Contra Costa County. Dated August 3, 1917.

    A compilation of Abstract of Title and supporting documents, compiled "At the Request of Mr. MANUEL WILLIAMS". Documents are all reprints of documents from 1859 to 1917, all reprinted by the Martinez Abstract and Title Company. Bound in hardcovers, string bound at the top, 8.5x13 inches, 77 pages printed on one side only.

    A signed Certification by the Martinez Abstract and Title Company dated 1917 is at the end: "This is to certify that the foregoing 77 pages...are a full, true and correct Unlimited Abstract of Title, showing all instruments and documents of record...affecting the title hereinafter described property, to the date hereof."

    CONDITION: All three volumes are in GOOD condition, the covers are worn at the edges and corners (especially the first volume) but are solid and doing their job well; internally, there is a smudge here and there, but overall the pages are very nice, bright, clean and clear. A solid, nice, fully legible set.

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $1,500.00
  • Original 1934 San Francisco Chinatown CHINESE TYPE SPECIMEN Trade Catalogue BOCK NGAR CHY CO by Bock Ngar Chy Co. Original 1934 San Francisco Chinatown CHINESE TYPE SPECIMEN Trade Catalogue BOCK NGAR CHY CO
    Bock Ngar Chy Co.

    Chinese American Type Specimen Catalogue

    BOCK NGAR CHY CO., published in San Francisco (n.d.) circa 1934. Original decorative blue-green paper wrappers, top staple bound, 8.25" x 5.25", 44 unnumbered pages, printed in red and green, text in Chinese with some English, richly illustrated throughout. NEAR FINE Condition: mild age toning, tiny bit of wear at spine fold ends, tight, bright, clean and unmarked. A beautiful copy.

    A typographic specimen book and trade catalogue featuring a wide variety of printing services, dual language Chinese-English printing, graphic design, typefaces, ornaments, borders, illustrated cuts, stamps, business cards, advertising, logos, and other printing jobs as well as rubber stamps, seals, corporate stamping machines, inks, movable type sets, pens, labels, stationary and small promotional items.…

    (more)

    Chinese American Type Specimen Catalogue

    BOCK NGAR CHY CO., published in San Francisco (n.d.) circa 1934. Original decorative blue-green paper wrappers, top staple bound, 8.25" x 5.25", 44 unnumbered pages, printed in red and green, text in Chinese with some English, richly illustrated throughout. NEAR FINE Condition: mild age toning, tiny bit of wear at spine fold ends, tight, bright, clean and unmarked. A beautiful copy.

    A typographic specimen book and trade catalogue featuring a wide variety of printing services, dual language Chinese-English printing, graphic design, typefaces, ornaments, borders, illustrated cuts, stamps, business cards, advertising, logos, and other printing jobs as well as rubber stamps, seals, corporate stamping machines, inks, movable type sets, pens, labels, stationary and small promotional items. Numerous local Chinese owned business are represented in the samples, as well as Chinese companies outside California, and in Canada and Mexico.

    A successful Chinese American printing and stationers firm in San Francisco's Chinatown, Bock Ngar Chy Company was founded by San Francisco native and visual artist Lee Shew Hung (b.1882). Educated in both Chinese and American schools Lee worked in his father's import export business before starting his own small press after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire. I can't find early records but the February 1915 edition of the Chinese Students' Monthly has two ads for Bock Ngar Chy Co. Chinese printing and stationer services and Chinese artistic goods located at 920 Grant Avenue. The 1949 Chinese San Francisco City Directory shows Bock Ngar Chy Co. at a different Chinatown location, 556 Kearny Street and the last recorded item they printed was a 1956 calendar by Bock Ngar Chy, Youth Printing Co. It's entirely possible Lee Shew Hung remained the proprietor throughout.

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $400.00
  • California Institute of Technology CALTECH Scarce 1898 THE POLYTECHNIC THROOP INSTITUTE Newsletter by Oliver Gale, Editor California Institute of Technology CALTECH Scarce 1898 THE POLYTECHNIC THROOP INSTITUTE Newsletter
    Oliver Gale, Editor

    In 1898 THROOP POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE was a high school and small college that later became CALTECH.

    THE POLYTECHNIC, Vol. III, No. I., November 1, 1898.

    Published by Throop Polytechnic Institute, Pasadena, California, 1898. Oliver Gale, Editor. First edition. Softcover, illustrated wraps, side staple bound, 10.75" x 8", 20 pages including covers, and with historic advertisements for local Pasadena businesses from confectioners to embalmers. Includes original subscription card. GOOD CONDITION: chipping to the covers mostly in the spine margin and a larger chip at the front bottom spine corner, some edge tears, light wear and age toning, internally some light wear from age and use, otherwise bright, clean and unmarked. Very scarce, the OCLC shows only one Collection with at least…

    (more)

    In 1898 THROOP POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE was a high school and small college that later became CALTECH.

    THE POLYTECHNIC, Vol. III, No. I., November 1, 1898.

    Published by Throop Polytechnic Institute, Pasadena, California, 1898. Oliver Gale, Editor. First edition. Softcover, illustrated wraps, side staple bound, 10.75" x 8", 20 pages including covers, and with historic advertisements for local Pasadena businesses from confectioners to embalmers. Includes original subscription card. GOOD CONDITION: chipping to the covers mostly in the spine margin and a larger chip at the front bottom spine corner, some edge tears, light wear and age toning, internally some light wear from age and use, otherwise bright, clean and unmarked. Very scarce, the OCLC shows only one Collection with at least one volume of The Polytechnic (1892) worldwide.

    In 1891 Amos Throop (1811-1894) founded the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), which is today one of the world's top ten universities. It was known through its first thirty years as Throop University, Throop Polytechnic Institute, and Throop College of Technology, before they decided on its current name which took effect in 1920. Throop was a Universalist preacher and abolitionist politician who made his fortune in lumber and real estate in Chicago before moving to Los Angeles in 1880 where he bought orchards and farms. By 1898 his school offered courses in ancient languages, Romance languages, mathematics, science, art, and literature with a faculty of less than 20.

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $125.00
  • JOHN MUIR NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE - HISTORY and CURRENT LANDSCAPE CONDITIONS - Martinez, Contra Costa, California by Jeffrey Killion and Mark Davison JOHN MUIR NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE - HISTORY and CURRENT LANDSCAPE CONDITIONS - Martinez, Contra Costa, California
    Jeffrey Killion and Mark Davison

    CULTURAL LANDSCAPE REPORT FOR JOHN MUIR NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE: Volume I: Site History, Existing Conditions, Analysis. Prepared by Jeffrey Killion and Mark Davison, Historical Landscape Architects.

    Published by the Olmsted Center for Landscape Preservation and the National Park Service, Boston, Massachusetts, 2005. First Edition

    This comprehensive report provides a historic and present day look at the area of the John Muir National Historic Site, describing the current condition of the site and its structures, and providing recommendations for its preservation and stewardship. The site is located in Martinez, Contra Costa County, California.

    Printed paper covers with clear plastic overlays, spiral bound, 8.5x11 inches, 514 pages. ILLUSTRATED with b&w photographs, drawings and maps, some that fold-open.

    NEAR FINE condition,…

    (more)

    CULTURAL LANDSCAPE REPORT FOR JOHN MUIR NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE: Volume I: Site History, Existing Conditions, Analysis. Prepared by Jeffrey Killion and Mark Davison, Historical Landscape Architects.

    Published by the Olmsted Center for Landscape Preservation and the National Park Service, Boston, Massachusetts, 2005. First Edition

    This comprehensive report provides a historic and present day look at the area of the John Muir National Historic Site, describing the current condition of the site and its structures, and providing recommendations for its preservation and stewardship. The site is located in Martinez, Contra Costa County, California.

    Printed paper covers with clear plastic overlays, spiral bound, 8.5x11 inches, 514 pages. ILLUSTRATED with b&w photographs, drawings and maps, some that fold-open.

    NEAR FINE condition, tight, bright, clean, clear and unmarked.

    INTERNATIONAL BUYERS PLEASE NOTE: This book is heavy and will require additional shipping charges. After placing your order you will be notified of the additional charges and be able to accept or reject them before your payment is processed. Or you can contact us ahead of time to find out the shipping charge to your country. Thanks.

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $80.00
  • FORT POINT HISTORIC STRUCTURE IDENTIFICATION and PRESERVATION REPORT San Francisco by Edwin C. Bearss FORT POINT HISTORIC STRUCTURE IDENTIFICATION and PRESERVATION REPORT San Francisco
    Edwin C. Bearss

    HISTORY OF FORT POINT : HISTORIC STRUCTURE REPORT / HISTORIC DATA SECTION, Fort Point National Historic Site, California. By Edwin C. Bearss, Historic Preservation Team.

    Published by the National Park Service, Denver Service Center, 1973. First edition.

    Hardcovers, 8.5x11 inches, 375 pages plus XI Plates, photographs and map, at the rear.

    FINE condition, tight, bright, clean and unmarked.

    This is the first edition of the comprehensive FULL REPORT published in 1973.

    From the Foreword:

    ******In addition to a structural history of the casemated masonry work, this report details the construction history of Batteries East and West, the De Russy and Elliot Seawalls, and no longer extant structures associated with Fort Point. Also found in this report is detailed…

    (more)

    HISTORY OF FORT POINT : HISTORIC STRUCTURE REPORT / HISTORIC DATA SECTION, Fort Point National Historic Site, California. By Edwin C. Bearss, Historic Preservation Team.

    Published by the National Park Service, Denver Service Center, 1973. First edition.

    Hardcovers, 8.5x11 inches, 375 pages plus XI Plates, photographs and map, at the rear.

    FINE condition, tight, bright, clean and unmarked.

    This is the first edition of the comprehensive FULL REPORT published in 1973.

    From the Foreword:

    ******In addition to a structural history of the casemated masonry work, this report details the construction history of Batteries East and West, the De Russy and Elliot Seawalls, and no longer extant structures associated with Fort Point. Also found in this report is detailed data on the armament of these works for the years 1861-1900.

    To secure documentary information to assist restoration architects to restore or stabilize Fort Point, Battery East, and the De Russy and Elliot Seawalls several hundred feet of manuscript of manuscript materials at the National Archives, the San Francisco Records Center, the Sixth Army Reference Library, and elsewhere, were examined. These documents were valuable to an understanding of the structural history of Fort Point.******

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $125.00
  • History of JENSEN'S OYSTER BEDS 1844-1988 Illustrated TOMALES BAY, POINT REYES by Douglas (Dewey) Livingston History of JENSEN'S OYSTER BEDS 1844-1988 Illustrated TOMALES BAY, POINT REYES
    Douglas (Dewey) Livingston

    HAMLET 1844-1988 : A History of JENSEN'S OYSTER BEDS, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, California, by Douglas (Dewey) Livingston. A Historic Resource Study of Point Reyes National Seashore.

    Published by Point Reyes National Park Service, 1989.

    Printed paper covers, plastic spiral bound, 8.5x11 inches, 125 pages, pages printed on one side only. A photocopy production, as issued.

    ILLUSTRATED throughout with numerous maps and reproductions of early photographs.

    NEAR FINE condition, tight, bright, clean, clear and unmarked.

    View cart More details Price: $100.00
  • DEFENDER OF THE GATE: HISTORY of THE PRESIDIO of SAN FRANCISCO 1846-1995 Illustrated by Edwin N. Thompson DEFENDER OF THE GATE: HISTORY of THE PRESIDIO of SAN FRANCISCO 1846-1995 Illustrated
    Edwin N. Thompson

    DEFENDER OF THE GATE: THE PRESIDIO OF SAN FRANCISCO A HISTORY FROM 1846 TO 1995, by Edwin N. Thompson. HISTORIC RESOURCE STUDY, VOLUME I.

    Published by National Park Service, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, California, July 1997.

    Softcovers, 8.5x11 inches, 475 pages. Illustrated throughout with b&w photos and maps.

    VERY GOOD condition, the covers have a corner crease and some small spots, otherwise the spine is smooth and the inner pages are tight, bright, clean, clear and unmarked.

    One of the most comprehensive and interesting histories of The Presidio of San Francisco that I have seen.

    This original first edition published by the National Park Service is quite hard-to-find.

    View cart More details Price: $125.00
  • SCHOOL ARCHITECTURE IN CALIFORNIA Design of Public School Buildings ILLUSTRATED 1914 SCHOOL ARCHITECTURE IN CALIFORNIA Design of Public School Buildings ILLUSTRATED 1914

    SCHOOL ARCHITECTURE IN CALIFORNIA.

    SACRAMENTO: Issued by The Superintendent of Public Instruction, Printed by the State Printing Office, 1914.

    Booklet, wrappers, illustrated front cover, side-stapled, 6x9 inches, 64 pages. Illustrated throughout with b&w photographs and architectural drawings.

    GOOD condition, the covers have some toning, corner creases, corner tip chips, and a few droplet stains; the inside rear cover has an area of yellow that seems to mimic the yellow of the illustration on the front cover, no idea how that happened but it seems to have happened during the printing of the covers; internally the pages are tight, bright, clean and unmarked.

    This original 1914 California School Architecture publication is quite scarce.

    View cart More details Price: $125.00
  • Antique Photograph NAPA VALLEY TEN MULE JERK LINE STAGECOACH WAGON Wine Related Cakebread Vineyards Collection c. 1890 Cabinet Card Antique Photograph NAPA VALLEY TEN MULE JERK LINE STAGECOACH WAGON Wine Related Cakebread Vineyards Collection c. 1890 Cabinet Card

    Original mounted albumen photograph, circa 1890 of a Ten Mule Jerk Line Wagon Stagecoach parked in front of an unidentified building somewhere in the Napa Valley. 7" x 5" photograph mounted on 9" x 7" mounting board with beveled edges. VERY GOOD Condition: antique photograph has a touch of surface wear and a few tiny stains, the mount has corner wear, otherwise an excellent image. The back of the mount has the ownership label of Helen Sturdivant.

    The 10 mule jerk line transport wagon was the 18 wheeler of its time, transporting harvested grapes or prunes to their respective wineries or processing facilities. The term "jerk line" refers to the method used by the driver to steer the mules, that…

    (more)

    Original mounted albumen photograph, circa 1890 of a Ten Mule Jerk Line Wagon Stagecoach parked in front of an unidentified building somewhere in the Napa Valley. 7" x 5" photograph mounted on 9" x 7" mounting board with beveled edges. VERY GOOD Condition: antique photograph has a touch of surface wear and a few tiny stains, the mount has corner wear, otherwise an excellent image. The back of the mount has the ownership label of Helen Sturdivant.

    The 10 mule jerk line transport wagon was the 18 wheeler of its time, transporting harvested grapes or prunes to their respective wineries or processing facilities. The term "jerk line" refers to the method used by the driver to steer the mules, that is, jerking the reigns. Men would earn $1.50 to $2.00 a day in the 1890's driving freight by jerk line.

    From the collection of John Emmett Cakebread (1930-2022) Pioneering Napa Valley Winemaker, Philanthropist, and Bohemian Club Member. The Sturdivant family owned 22 acres in the Napa Valley, Sturdivant Cattle Ranch and vineyards, now Cakebread Cellars. In the 1970s the Cakebreads purchased the property from the Sturdivants.

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $55.00
  • 1911 Letter BLACK BEAR GOLD MINING CO., SAWYERS BAR, SISKIYOU COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, WHITING FAMILY, WHITING HILL MINE 1911 Letter BLACK BEAR GOLD MINING CO., SAWYERS BAR, SISKIYOU COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, WHITING FAMILY, WHITING HILL MINE

    HANDWRITTEN LETTER, written on both sides of a piece of 8.5x11 inch stationery bearing a "BLACK BEAR GOLD MINING CO." letterhead. The letter is dated Feb. 28, 1911, and was sent from SAWYERS BAR, (Siskiyou County, California). It was written by Mrs. M. E. Whiting / Sawyers Bar" and addressed to "Mrs. Clark", her sister. The letter begins: "Dear Sister".

    The letter mentions the recent death of a sister, Sophronia (there is a marker on the Yreka Trail in Siskiyou County that reads: ""We are now out of the diggers and and in the Shasta Valley tribe (country) they are not so hostile - Sophronia Helen Stone, Sep 20, 1852".) I have no idea if the marker relates to the…

    (more)

    HANDWRITTEN LETTER, written on both sides of a piece of 8.5x11 inch stationery bearing a "BLACK BEAR GOLD MINING CO." letterhead. The letter is dated Feb. 28, 1911, and was sent from SAWYERS BAR, (Siskiyou County, California). It was written by Mrs. M. E. Whiting / Sawyers Bar" and addressed to "Mrs. Clark", her sister. The letter begins: "Dear Sister".

    The letter mentions the recent death of a sister, Sophronia (there is a marker on the Yreka Trail in Siskiyou County that reads: ""We are now out of the diggers and and in the Shasta Valley tribe (country) they are not so hostile - Sophronia Helen Stone, Sep 20, 1852".) I have no idea if the marker relates to the Sophornia in this letter, but as both the marker and the Sophronia in the letter are in Siskiyou County it is at least an interesting coincidence. The letter goes on to talk about the cold weather and other everyday matters. WHITING, the writer's surname, is also the surname of a number of miners in Siskiyou County at the time, and there was even a WHITING HILL MINE. I do not know exactly how M. E. Whiting relates, though the fact that the letter bears the letterhead of BLACK BEAR GOLD MINING CO. indicates some sort of relationship.

    GOOD Condition: the letter has two horizontal and one vertical fold, likely folded to fit into an envelope (no envelope present); there are a few small holes (likely from the sharp tip of the pen), one fold is just starting to split, and the letter is lightly toned, otherwise bright and clear.

    About SAWYERS BAR (from Wikipedia):

    ******Sawyers Bar is an unincorporated community located on the North Fork Salmon River in unincorporated Siskiyou County, California, not to be confused with a Sawyers or Lawyers Bar in Del Norte County.

    Sawyers Bar, now in Siskiyou County, was a California Gold Rush mining camp, first in Trinity County (one of the original counties of California, created in 1850 at the time of statehood). Then following the rush to the Klamath and Salmon Rivers, it became part of the now defunct Klamath County from 1851 to 1874. It was then within that part of Klamath County annexed to Siskiyou County. Sawyers Bar, was one of the largest gold producers in the county that year, along with Negro Flat, Gullion's Bar and Bestville. Currently, Sawyers Bar has a population of about 20 permanent residents and about 34 during the summer.******

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $100.00
  • ALCATRAZ ISLAND Prison Garden FLORILEGIUM Botanical Illustration Flowering Plant ART Botany Uncommon Catalogue ALCATRAZ ISLAND Prison Garden FLORILEGIUM Botanical Illustration Flowering Plant ART Botany Uncommon Catalogue

    THE ALCATRAZ FLORILEGIUM

    A Collection of Artwork By Members of The Northern California Society of Botanical Artists. Published by the Northern California Society of Botanical Artists in collaboration with the Garden Conservancy and the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, 2016. First edition. Illustrated softcover, 11" x 8.5", 138 pages, a richly illustrated florilegium of 127 full page color botanical drawings and paintings documenting the plants in the Alcatraz Gardens, also includes information on the history of Alcatraz Island and the gardens. VERY GOOD Condition: a touch of light wear and smudging to the covers, internally tight, bright, clean and unmarked and the spine remains uncreased, a lovely copy of this uncommon collection of botanical illustrations.

    View cart More details Price: $25.00
  • MUIR WOODS SEWAGE SYSTEM ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT w/ Alternative Treatment Plans 1990 MUIR WOODS SEWAGE SYSTEM ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT w/ Alternative Treatment Plans 1990

    ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT MUIR WOODS NATIONAL MONUMENT Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Package 274.

    Stapled paper item, 18 pages plus a title and contents page, pages printed on one-side only, appears to be photocopy printing. GOOD condition, light toning and a bit of corner creasing.

    Published by the U.S. Department of the Interior / National Park Service, undated but date in text indicates this was printed circa 1990.

    The report defines the Muir Woods sewage problem and offers alternative plans for its treatment. I wonder which of the environmentally friendly plans was implemented, if any.

    View cart More details Price: $30.00
  • 1880 Two Vintage Mounted PHOTOGRAPHS of OTIS HILL and CHILD in HAYWARD, California by Otis Hill 1880 Two Vintage Mounted PHOTOGRAPHS of OTIS HILL and CHILD in HAYWARD, California
    Otis Hill

    Two historic circa 1880 photographs of an early and notable HAYWARD, CALIFORNIA settler, OTIS HILL, and what appears to be his young daughter, in front of their house at "Willow Tree Farm" in what was then called HAYWARDS, California.

    Two photographs, one 6.5x8.5 inch and one 6x8 inch, both mounted on 11x14 inch card mounts. Written on the backside of each mount is: "WILLOW TREE FARM / OTIS HILL / HAYWARDS / CAL." The fact that the photograph identifies the town as "Haywards" allows the photograph to be dated from between 1876 and 1880. (The town was incorporated in 1876 and given the official name HAYWARDS, but a few years later, circa 1880, the "S" was dropped and the town…

    (more)

    Two historic circa 1880 photographs of an early and notable HAYWARD, CALIFORNIA settler, OTIS HILL, and what appears to be his young daughter, in front of their house at "Willow Tree Farm" in what was then called HAYWARDS, California.

    Two photographs, one 6.5x8.5 inch and one 6x8 inch, both mounted on 11x14 inch card mounts. Written on the backside of each mount is: "WILLOW TREE FARM / OTIS HILL / HAYWARDS / CAL." The fact that the photograph identifies the town as "Haywards" allows the photograph to be dated from between 1876 and 1880. (The town was incorporated in 1876 and given the official name HAYWARDS, but a few years later, circa 1880, the "S" was dropped and the town became HAYWARD.)

    VERY GOOD condition: The mounts are lightly soiled, have some edge and corner wear, and a few smallish stains to the backsides; one mount has a clipped corner. The photographs are lovely with just a few light rubs and a couple small superficial scrapes.

    How HAYWARDS California became HAYWARD California (from the City website):

    ******Hayward was originally known as "Hayward's", then as "Haywood", later as "Haywards", and eventually as "Hayward". On his way from gold country to San Francisco in 1851,a failed prospector named William Hayward passed through what is now downtown Hayward. He liked what he saw and bought some land. In 1852, Hayward set up a small general store at the corner of A Street and Mission Boulevard. The store became a major stop on the road from Oakland to San Jose. Hayward expanded his business, erecting a lodging house that grew to become the famous Hayward's Hotel. When the town was incorporated on March 11, 1876, it was officially named "Haywards" after the landmark hotel. The "s" was dropped several years later.******

    About OTIS HILL of HAYWARDS, California (from History of the State of California & Biographical Record of Coast Counties, California, Pages 1189-1190. The Chapman Publishing Co., Chicago, 1904.):

    ******Prominent among the pioneer residents of Alameda county is OTIS HILL, a venerable and highly respected agriculturist, whose ranch is located about one mile from the city of Hayward. In the development of this section of the county, and in the advancement of its welfare, he has been an important factor. Coming here a full half century ago, he, with the other early settlers of this locality, bravely endured the hardships and privations of pioneer life. Mr. Hill was born, September 21, 1827, in Lockport, N.Y., a son of Orson Hill.

    Coming to California by the Nicaragua route in 1855, he located in Hayward's, where he had a brother living. In 1856 Mr. Hill bought, for $900, one hundred and thirty acres of land in the Castro valley. Some time during the sixties he got the Spanish grant title to two hundred acres. He has now in his home ranch many acres of valuable land, supplied with water from a spring, and lying on the line of the Haywards and Oakland Electric line, a most favorable location. He carried on general farming, paying special attention to the cultivation of fruits, and is quite successful. He also has a valuable gravel pit, which is a source of considerable revenue.******

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $80.00
  • San Francisco Bay 1967 OFFICIAL UNREALIZED TRANSPORTATION PROJECTS ILLUSTRATED REPORT Golden Gate Bridge Bottom Deck UNDERWATER TUBES Plans For New Bridges et al SAN FRANCISCO MARIN CROSSING San Francisco Bay 1967 OFFICIAL UNREALIZED TRANSPORTATION PROJECTS ILLUSTRATED REPORT Golden Gate Bridge Bottom Deck UNDERWATER TUBES Plans For New Bridges et al SAN FRANCISCO MARIN CROSSING

    A scarce unrealized illustrated transportation report undertaken to identify alternate means of travel between Marin County and San Francisco. This May 1967 San Francisco Marin Crossing presents serious construction plans for increasing access to Marin county. Plans include: building a second bridge from San Francisco to Marin, building a bridge to Angel Island connecting to Tiburon, building an underwater tube linking San Francisco and Marin, and a number of lower deck options for the Golden Gate Bridge are also investigated. A graphic treasure trove of imagery, construction plans, projects, renderings, maps, and photographs illuminating what today looks like a science fictional landscape. Iconic Plans that might have been, will probably never be realized, but you never know .

    SAN FRANCISCO…

    (more)

    A scarce unrealized illustrated transportation report undertaken to identify alternate means of travel between Marin County and San Francisco. This May 1967 San Francisco Marin Crossing presents serious construction plans for increasing access to Marin county. Plans include: building a second bridge from San Francisco to Marin, building a bridge to Angel Island connecting to Tiburon, building an underwater tube linking San Francisco and Marin, and a number of lower deck options for the Golden Gate Bridge are also investigated. A graphic treasure trove of imagery, construction plans, projects, renderings, maps, and photographs illuminating what today looks like a science fictional landscape. Iconic Plans that might have been, will probably never be realized, but you never know .

    SAN FRANCISCO MARIN CROSSING May 1967

    Published by the State of California Transportation Agency, Department of Public Works, Division of Bay Toll Crossings, San Francisco, May 1967. First and only edition. Illustrated stiff card covers, plastic spiral comb binding, 17" x 11", viii, 110 pages, illustrated throughout with maps, renderings, and photographs. GOOD Condition: some of the plastic comb spirals are broken but still holding, relevant business card taped to front cover (Y. Tito Sasaki - Golden Gate Bridge District Transportation Planner), and light wear to the covers, internally, title page with relevant penciled note, light wear from age and use, otherwise tight, bright, clean and unmarked. Scarce, no copies in the OCLC.

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $1,200.00
  • STUDY of TWO RICE HERBICIDES USED in the SACRAMENTO RIVER & SACRAMENTO DELTA REGION by James M. Harrington, Pesticide Investigations Unit STUDY of TWO RICE HERBICIDES USED in the SACRAMENTO RIVER & SACRAMENTO DELTA REGION
    James M. Harrington, Pesticide Investigations Unit

    HAZARD ASSESSMENT of the RICE HERBICIDES MOLINATE and THIOBENCARB to AQUATIC ORGANISMS in the SACRAMENTO RIVER SYSTEM, by James M. Harrington, Pesticide Investigations Unit.

    Published by the James M. Harrington, Pesticide Investigations Unit, 1990. Administrative Report 90-1.

    Printed paper covers, side-stapled, 8.5x11 inches, 96 pages.

    GOOD condition, a few lines of yellow highlighting on the "Summary" pages, otherwise tight, bright, clean, clear and unmarked.

    View cart More details Price: $45.00
  • 1862 Original Gold Rush Account First Edition ~ TWELVE YEARS IN THE MINES OF CALIFORNIA Embracing A General View Of The Gold Region, With Practical Observations On Hill, Placer, and Quartz Diggings; And Notes On The Origin Of Gold Deposits. by Lawson B. Patterson 1862 Original Gold Rush Account First Edition ~ TWELVE YEARS IN THE MINES OF CALIFORNIA Embracing A General View Of The Gold Region, With Practical Observations On Hill, Placer, and Quartz Diggings; And Notes On The Origin Of Gold Deposits.
    Lawson B. Patterson

    1862 Original Gold Rush Account First Edition ~ TWELVE YEARS IN THE MINES OF CALIFORNIA Embracing A General View Of The Gold Region, With Practical Observations On Hill, Placer, and Quartz Diggings; And Notes On The Origin Of Gold Deposits. By Lawson B. Patterson.

    Printed by Miles and Dillingham, Cambridge, MA, 1862. First Edition. Hardbound in Publisher's original blindstamped brown cloth with embossed gilt title on front cover, 108 pages, appendix. GOOD Condition: covers corners and edges are worn through, spine covering perished, but the gilt remains bright, internally, front hinge starting and rear hinge tender but holding, period penned "No. 25 - " at the top of the front pastedown and half title, small Los Angeles bookseller label on…

    (more)

    1862 Original Gold Rush Account First Edition ~ TWELVE YEARS IN THE MINES OF CALIFORNIA Embracing A General View Of The Gold Region, With Practical Observations On Hill, Placer, and Quartz Diggings; And Notes On The Origin Of Gold Deposits. By Lawson B. Patterson.

    Printed by Miles and Dillingham, Cambridge, MA, 1862. First Edition. Hardbound in Publisher's original blindstamped brown cloth with embossed gilt title on front cover, 108 pages, appendix. GOOD Condition: covers corners and edges are worn through, spine covering perished, but the gilt remains bright, internally, front hinge starting and rear hinge tender but holding, period penned "No. 25 - " at the top of the front pastedown and half title, small Los Angeles bookseller label on rear pastedown, and a touch of of age toning, otherwise the inner pages are excellent, tight, bright, clean and unmarked.

    This uncommon first hand account provides a wonderful narrative of gold mining in El Dorado County by an original Forty-Niner who prospected in the gold country for twelve years. In addition to Patterson's own experiences, much of this book is devoted to the discovery of gold, the gold region, its geology, advice to new miners, and the weather in 1853. Wheat declares the account "observations of permanent import, the value of which is belatedly becoming recognized." Wheat Books 154.

    Patterson left Boston for California via New York on February 5, 1849. He took the schooner Col. Fanning to Brazos Santiago, Mexico. From there, the Argonaut crossed Mexico to Mazatlán arriving on April 17, and then shipped to San Francisco via San Diego. In his introduction, Patterson furnished the following from the San Francisco Alta California: "He arrived in this city on the 20th of July, 1849; started for the mines six days later; went to Mormon Island, and after a short stay, to the vicinity of Georgetown, El Dorado County, where he remained twelve years, never abandoning mining in all that time. He is one of the few Forty-niners who have remained faithful to the business of mining."

    (Howes P121; Kurutz 484; Rocq 15995; Sabin 59140; Streeter 2876. Kurutz, The California Gold Rush 481)

    (less)
    View cart More details Price: $345.00